Red is the national color for substance abuse awareness.
Light & Unite Red is a community-wide prevention committee led by the Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division (BHD). In 2018, nearly 50 community organization, surrounding health departments, high schools, libraries and government entities are working together to shine a spotlight on the dangers of substance use and unite our community to engage in prevention, encourage treatment and support recovery throughout the year.
What We Did in 2018
Addiction Information & Resource Fair
Including speakers on ACES Interface and personal story, Narcan Training
South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center
5:30 - 8 p.m.
Light & Unite Red Phone Bank
Thanks to Today's TMJ4 for helping and hosting this important community engagement!
Recognizing Addiction: Feat. Dr. Michael McNett
Pain management physician and leader of the comprehensive pain program at Aurora Health Care.
Written Off, a Screening of the Award-Winning Documentary
- Michael Lappen, MS, LPC, Administrator, Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division and Co-chair, City-County Heroin, Opioid and Cocaine Task Force
Michael Vann, MSE, CSAC, ICS, Recovery Support Specialist, Wisconsin Resource Center
Maria Perez, PhD, VP of Behavioral Health Affairs, Sixteenth Street Community Health Centers
- Mark Fossie, MS, MBA, LMFT, APSW, CSAC, ICS, President Chief Executive Officer, M&S Clinical Services, Inc. and Bishop, Lion of Judah Christian Ministries
- Pastor Walter Lanier, JD, MDIV, Director, Multicultural Services and Community Engagement, Milwaukee Area Technical College, Pastor, Progressive Baptist Church
Light & Unite Red Day
- Wearing red - the national color for substance abuse awareness or light up your building red!
- Buldings will be donning a red light ALL WEEK to support substance abuse efforts during NDAFW: General Mitchell Airport (MKE letters), Mitchell Park Domes (Halos), Schlitz Park (Arches), Milwaukee County Parks, Milwaukee County Zoo, Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division, US Bank Building Tower, Milwaukee Bucks McKinley Health Center, Milwaukee Fire Stations, and Community Advocates
- Be sure to post your pictures on social media using #LightUniteRed
Resource Fair for Parents & Teens
Stairway to Heroin at the Northshore Health Dept. Resource Fair
- Dr. Timothy Westlake, Director, Emergency Department at Oconomowoc Memorial Hospital in Wisconsin (pictured at left)
- Melanie C., personal testimony
- Detective Chris Kohl, Waukesha County Sheriff's Department
- Chris Gleason, MA, CAADC, MAATP, Administrator of Regional Behavioral Services
- Your Choice, A Family's Journey to Recovery
Shorewood High School Theater
Our Community Partners
Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Division | Milwaukee County Department of Health and Human Services | Oak Creek Health Department | Aids Resource Center of Wisconsin | Greenfield Health Department | WAWM Community Coalition | Tobacco-Free Suburban Milwaukee Counties | Hales Corners Health Department | Milwaukee Fire Department | AIDS Resource Center Of Wisconsin | South Milwaukee Health Department | Children's Community Health Plan | Volition Franklin \ City of Franklin Health Department | Village of Greendale | North Shore Health Department | Greendale Health Department | West Allis Fire Department | Starting Point | Wauwatosa Health Department | Milwaukee Fire Department | Wauwatosa School District | University of WI Milwaukee | Team HAVOC & MKE Heroin Diaries | Community Advocates | City of Milwaukee | City of Greenfield | Washington Ozaukee HD | Vessels of God | Families Moving Forward/ Manna Behavioral Services | MSI | CUPH - UWM | Community Advocates | Washington Ozaukee HD | New Plan Life Services | Assata High School | Milwaukee Public Schools- Auer Avenue | Wraparound Milwaukee| WestCare | Milwaukee Public Schools - Hopkins Lloyd | Hepatha Lutheran Chuck | Milwaukee College Prep School | COA | Hopwell Ministries | Pastors United | Dominican Center | Keefe Avenue / Boys & Girls Clubs | MICAH | Catholic Campaign for Social Justice