Out of an abundance of caution to the public and our staff, the lobby of the Register of Deeds Office is closed to the public until further notice.
The ROD Office will process real estate documents via eRecordings and mail.
The ROD Office will process Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce and Domestic Partnership/Terminations by mail, internet orders or fax at (414) 223-1942.
The ROD Office will research and copy requests by mail, email or by appointment.
How Do I Get Certified Copies of Vital Records?
Record Fees: $20 for first copy +$3 for each additional copy.
Complete and print an application. Include the application with your inquiry, along with a copy of your valid picture ID and form of payment.
Birth Marriage Death Divorce
Aplicaciones en Espanol
Nacimiento Matrimonio Defunción Divorcio
**For Domestic Partnership Certificate Applications, call (414) 278-4027 or email.
There are additional fees for using this service.
In Person by appointment only beginning in July 2021.
Statewide Certificate Issuance
Milwaukee County can issue the following Wisconsin certificates:
- Birth certificates - from Oct. 1, 1907
- Death certificates - from Sept. 1, 2013
- Marriage certificates - All records available in our office
- Divorce certificates - from Jan. 1, 2016 (Prior to Jan. 1, 2016 contact Clerk of Courts
Domestic partnership certificates or termination records are only available in the county in which the event took place.
To apply for your marriage license prior to getting married, contact the County Clerk.
We have birth records from the 1850s to present, death records from 1872 to present, and marriage records from the 1830s to present.
- Genealogical research hours are 8 a.m. to noon or noon to 4 p.m, Monday through Friday
- Researchers must make an appointment at least 24 hours in advance
- We accept up to six appointments per day - three in the morning and three in the afternoon
- We recommend scheduling appointments two to three weeks in advance
- All researchers must be at least 12 years of age and produce a valid ID. Minors performing genealogy must be accompanied by an adult
- Customers are charged $7 for each record that is obtained for viewing
- Customers are charged $20 for a copy of the record (whether certified or non-certified)
- Cash, credit and debit cards are accepted for genealogical requests