Register of Deeds
  • Refine Search

  • All Results

Vital Records

How to Get Copies of Birth, Death, Marriage, Divorce and Domestic Partnership Records





How Do I Get Certified Copies of Vital Records?

Per Wis. Stat. § 69.20(1), a CERTIFIED copy of a birth certificate is only available to those with a “direct and tangible interest."

Record Fees: $20 for first copy +$3 for each additional copy.
There is a $3 service fee for in-person orders.

On Demand – Order Now, Pick up Later

A pedido: ordene ahora, recoja más tarde

Scan the QR code or click the button to avoid the lines.

Escanea el código QR o haz clic en el botón para evitar las filas.


Orders received by 2 p.m. will be available for pickup the same business day.

Para español, haga clic en el botón de menú, arriba a la derecha y elija español.

Los pedidos recibidos antes de dos de la tarde estarán disponibles para su recoger el mismo
día de lunes a viernes.

In Person

901 N. 9th Street, Room G6, Milwaukee
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
There is a $3 service fee for in-person orders.

By Mail

Complete and print an application. Mail the application to us at 901 N. 9th Street, Room G6, Milwaukee WI 53233, along with a copy of your valid picture ID (Driver’s License or State ID) and check or money order made out to “Register of Deeds.” We will call you for a credit card number if no check is included.

Blank Applications

Birth Marriage Death Divorce

Aplicaciones en Espanol

Nacimiento Matrimonio Defunción Divorcio Asociación doméstica Finalización de la pareja de hecho

**For Domestic Partnership Certificate Applications, call (414) 278-4027 or email.

Consent Form

Formulario de consentimiento


Order Online

There are additional fees for using this service.
Orders received by 12 p.m. will ship the same day.

By Phone

To order by phone, contact Vitalchek at (888) 862-3736.
There are additional fees for this service. Payment must be made by credit or debit card.

Statewide Certificate Issuance

Milwaukee County can issue the following Wisconsin certificates:

  • Birth certificates - from Oct. 1, 1907
  • Death certificates - from Sept. 1, 2013
  • Marriage certificates - All records available in our office
  • Divorce certificates - from Jan. 1, 2016 (Prior to Jan. 1, 2016 contact Clerk of Courts)

Domestic partnership certificates or termination records are only available in the county in which the event took place.

To apply for your marriage license prior to getting married, contact the County Clerk


We have birth records from the 1850s to present, death records from 1872 to present, and marriage records from the 1830s to present.
Research appointments should report to room G6.  Please call 414-278-4027 to schedule your appointment, or email [email protected]
Para espanol por favor llame 414-335-0723
Genealogy Rules


901 N. 9th Street, Room 103
Milwaukee, WI 53233

(414) 278-4021

Fax (414) 223-1257

Office Hours: 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Monday through Friday

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System