We Process U.S. Passport Applications
New applications for U.S. Passports are processed Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. by appointment only beginning June 1, 2021. Call (414) 278-4067 to schedule an appointment. Note: we are unable to take passport photos at this time. If you are applying, you must bring the required passport photo with you. Masks are required for service; however, we will ask you to remove it for identification purposes.
All persons applying for a new passport, including children, must be present. Both parents must sign the application of a passport for a child under the age of 16.
We do not process passport renewals. Renewals are done on your own, which saves you a processing fee of $35. If you want to pay the processing fee and reapply as a new applicant, we can do that.
Our office is unable to take pictures at this time; you must have a passport photo with you when applying.
Passport photos are available for $15. We recommend that you do not wear white clothing for a passport picture.
Save $1 on your passport photo.
U.S. Passports - Travel
- Certified birth certificate; no photocopies
- Original and photocopy of valid government issued photo identification card such as a driver's license. Photocopy must be black and white and front and back side of the ID on the same side of 81/2 x 11 white paper
- Second form of identification if your government issued ID is not from Wisconsin
Get Birth Certificates
Milwaukee County Birth Records
Wisconsin Birth Records
Out-of-State Birth Records
Complete Application Before You Visit
Whether you're renewing a passport or applying for the first time, you can complete the application and print it before coming to the County Clerk's office. Applications are also available for completion in the County Clerk's office when you visit.
Adult (16 and older): $145 ($110 plus $35 processing fee)
Child (under 16): $115 ($80 plus $35 processing fee)
The card can only be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at U.S. land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.
Adult (16 and older): $65 ($30 plus $35 processing fee)
Child (under 16): $50 ($15 plus $35 processing fee)
Two payments are required:
- Payable to the U.S. Department of State for the applicable cost of the passport book/card. Cashier's check, money order, or personal check only. No cash or credit card can be used for the payment due to the U.S. Department of State.
- Payable to the Milwaukee County Clerk for the processing fee and, if applicable, passport photo. Cashier's check, money order, cash or credit/debit card. No personal checks.
There is a 3% convenience fee charged for credit/debit transactions used to pay the County Clerk's fees. If the U.S. Department of State denies a passport, fees are non-refundable.
Expedited service is available for an additional fee of $60 for each passport, plus $17.56 for overnight shipping (payable to the U.S. Department of State).
Overnight shipping from the County Clerk to the State is also available for an additional fee of $26.35 (payable to the Milwaukee County Clerk).