County Clerk

Marriage License

How to Apply for a Marriage License

Appointments to Apply for Marriage License

The County Clerk's Office issues marriage licenses at the Courthouse, Room 105, by appointment only. To schedule your appointment, use our Booking Calendar. Appointments can be made no more than 30 days prior to your wedding date. If you have any questions, contact our office at (414) 278-4067. Courthouse weddings are not available at this time.

Schedule Appointment


To expedite your application appointment, complete this worksheet and either bring it to your appointment or email it.

Masks are required for service.


Debido a limitaciones en el software, esta herramienta de programación solo está disponible en inglés. Pedimos disculpas por las molestias y estamos trabajando en una solución. Mientras tanto, llame al (414) 278-4067 para programar una cita en español.

How to Apply for a Marriage License

Wisconsin residents must apply before the county clerk of the county in which either applicant is a resident. The license issued in that county may be used anywhere in the State of Wisconsin.

Non-Wisconsin residents must apply in the county in which they are to be married.

To hear a detailed voice recording of requirements, call (414) 278-4070.

Wisconsin State Statute, Chapter 765 - Marriage

Open AllClose All
  Where to Apply

Marriage license applications may be completed Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. by appointment only in the Office of the Milwaukee County Clerk, County Courthouse - Room 105, 901 North 9th Street, Milwaukee.

  When to Apply

A wedding date must be set prior to application. The marriage license application must be completed at least seven days but not more than 30 days before the wedding date. The license is valid for 30 days upon the issuance date

  How Much Does It Cost

The marriage license fee is $110 payable at the time of filing an application and is non-refundable. We accept cash and credit/debit cards. There is a convenience fee of 3% for all credit/debit card transactions. Personal checks are not accepted.

If you are scheduled for a civil ceremony at the courthouse, the $100 ceremony fee is payable at the time of filing an application and is non-refundable.

  Who May Marry

The minimum age to marry is 18. Applicants who are 16 or 17 must have both parents' consent or the consent of their legal guardian. A consent form must be completed, signed and notarized. This form is available in the Office of the County Clerk.

No marriage shall be contracted between persons who are nearer of kin than second cousins, except that marriage may be contracted between first cousins where the female has attained the age of 55 years or either party has documented proof of sterilization.

  When Can I Pick It Up

Your marriage license will be given to you on the day you apply and is valid seven days from the date you applied.

If you are having a civil ceremony at the courthouse, you should arrive to the building 30 minutes prior to your scheduled time to pick up the marriage license. You will then be directed to the courtroom for your ceremony. Note: no courthouse weddings are being scheduled at this time.


The Marriage License, a Norman Rockwell painting

The Marriage License, a Norman Rockwell painting, appeared on the cover of the Saturday Evening Post, June 11, 1955.


The couple must apply together in person.

Each applicant must show photo ID such as a valid driver's license.

Each applicant must bring in a certified birth certificate. A certified birth certificate is one that has been issued by a government agency. Birth certificates that are torn, taped, laminated, or illegible are not acceptable. Photocopies, "certificates of birth" issued by hospitals, and "birth registrations" are not acceptable.

Each applicant must provide their Social Security number if they have one.

If a Wisconsin resident, one applicant must show proof of residency with a current Milwaukee County address. Examples of proof of residence include: Wisconsin driver's license or state I.D.; utility bill; bank or credit card statement; or lease agreement.

If you were previously married, a filed copy of the final judgment of divorce, a certified divorce certificate, legal annulment or certified death certificate that ended the last marriage must be shown at the time of application. In Wisconsin it is unlawful for any person to marry until six months after the date of the granting of a judgment of divorce, regardless of where the divorce was granted.

You must provide the name, address and telephone number of the officiant performing the wedding ceremony.


Any document not in English must be attached to a certified and notarized translation. Both applicants must speak and be able to read English. Applicants may not translate for each other. The applicant must provide a translator.

For clarification of any information provided, call (414) 278-4067.

Civil Ceremonies at the Courthouse - Cancelled Until Further Notice

Civil ceremonies are performed at the Milwaukee County courthouse, Monday through Friday, by appointment only. The fee for civil ceremonies is $100 payable at the time of application for the marriage license and is non-refundable. To schedule or cancel an appointment, call (414) 278-4067. We encourage you to schedule the date and time as soon as possible as dates and times fill quickly, particularly if you want a Friday ceremony.

For a list of officiants who perform wedding ceremonies at locations other than the courthouse, you can:

Plan Your Wedding in a Scenic Milwaukee County Park

From Proposal to Wedding — Visit Milwaukee County Parks

Stunning backdrops for your engagement photos to one-of-a-kind venues for your ceremony!

How to Obtain Your Proof of Marriage

To obtain a certified copy of your marriage certificate after you are married, contact the Milwaukee County Register of Deeds Office, (414) 278-4003.

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System



Looking for Milwaukee County Services?

Visit Milwaukee County