Department of Health and Human Services

Connecting Individuals With Disabilities to Resources That Promote Independence and Inclusion

Milwaukee County Disabilities Services Division Update in Response to COVID-19

The Milwaukee County Disabilities Services Division is committed to the safety and needs of children and adults with disabilities. We are taking the current situation with the Coronavirus very seriously and working closely with public officials and community partners to ensure access to services. There are changes in services at this time, click here for more information. You can also call 2-1-1 for information. IMPACT 2-1-1 provides a coordinated point for those in need.

View a Complete List of Department of Health and Human Services Community Resources

Nyob Zoo Milwaukee TV COVID-19 Special 

Quick Links


  • Disability Resource Center

    Disability Resource Center

  • Affordable Transportation

    Affordable Transportation

  • Protect Someone With a Disability

    Protect Someone With a Disability

  • Children's Services

    Children's Services

Calendar of Events

Survey on Access to Care for Intellectual/Developmental Disabilities and Mental/Behavioral Needs

Mental Health Task Force/Make It Work Milwaukee Update

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services has contracted with The Center for START Services to assess Wisconsin's community system of care in addressing the needs of individuals with co-occurring intellectual/developmental disabilities (IDD) and mental health conditions. A comprehensive summary with strategic recommendations based on identified areas of strength and challenges will follow the assessment.

Ensuring people with IDD and co-occurring mental/behavioral health needs have access to effective services throughout Wisconsin is a priority issue for Disability Rights Wisconsin and we want to share this survey widely with the disability community. Complete the survey and share with others.

Please provide feedback about your experience with Wisconsin's system of care by completing an online survey here!

The survey will remain open until early April. Intended survey participants include people throughout the state such as providers, family members, consumers, educators, law enforcement, child protective services, case managers, corporate guardians, advocates and others.

Influenza ASL Video

The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) and the Office for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) produced an ASL video regarding influenza. Getting a flu shot is an easy way to help protect you and your family. With both COVID-19 and the flu spreading this season, it is especially important that we all get our flu vaccines. By doing so, we can help keep ourselves, our families and our communities safe!

Navigating a Move With a Disability

Moving Guide Tips 

The Guide Includes

  • Home Accessibility Checklist  
  • Federal and State Financial Assistance Programs  
  • Moving Tips for People with Disabilities

Project Connect 

Free teletheraphy for people with developmental disabilities. 

A 24-hour support line is available by calling: 

(888) 847-3209

GO Pass / Transportation

In partnership with the Department on Aging and the Milwaukee County Transit System, individuals with a disability, or over the age of 65, may qualify for significantly discounted fares on MCTS busses.

If you have a Go Pass card that is about to expire, the card will remain active throughout the duration of the public health emergency. For questions, call (414) 289-5800 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We are not accepting new applications at this time.

Reduced Fare Card

You can use cash or an M•CARD to pay the reduced fare of $1.10 a ride, but the easiest way is with an MCTS Reduced Fare Card. This card works just like a regular M•CARD but is programmed for the reduced fare; this card also allows you to take advantage of our one-, seven- or 31-Day Reduced Fare pricing.

Reduced Fare Frequently Asked Questions

Don't have the MCTS Reduced Fare Card? No problem. You can still use cash or an M•CARD. When you board you must show an ID to the bus driver to prove you are eligible. Accepted forms of ID include:

  • Medicare Card

  • MCTS Reduced Fare ID Card

How Does GO Pass Work?

  • Qualified recipients can get unlimited MCTS rides for $2 per day
  • GO Pass works on all MCTS routes
  • The pass lasts for four years from your birth month
  • When you board the bus for the first time each day, show the driver your GO Pass card & tell them you would like to purchase a GO Pass. Once the driver says its okay, touch the GO Pass to the orange square on the farebox. Do not touch your card to the farebox until the driver says it's okay. The farebox will deduct $2 and you're ready for unlimited riding that day.

How Do I Sign Up?

Call (414) 289-5800 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

If your GO Pass card has expired, you will need to re-apply for GO Pass, and there is a $5 application fee if you are eligible.

How Do I Qualify?

  • For residents over 65: Be receiving Medicaid or FoodShare benefits
  • For residents under 65: Be receiving Social Security income through SSI or SSDI, or have a Veterans Disability designation; and be receiving Medicaid benefits including traditional Medicaid, EBD Medicaid, long-term care through Medicaid, or participate in a Medicare Savings program.

If you believe you meet one of these conditions but are not currently receiving Medicaid benefits, FoodShare benefits or participating in a Medicaid Savings program, you can call (414) 289-5800.

What Are the Fees?

  • Card Issuance Fee: $2 (added for all cards to the fees below, including replacements)
  • New GO Pass Fee: $5
  • First Replacement Card: $10
  • Second Replacement Card: $25
  • Third Replacement Card: $50

NOTE: No further replacements will be issued after the third.

  • Daily Use: $2/day (unlimited rides)

Court Services

If you suspect that a Milwaukee County resident between the ages of 18 and 59 is being physically or emotionally abused, neglected, financially exploited, or is unable to care for himself or herself, Milwaukee County DHHS Disabilities Services Division encourages you to call immediately

Call Us if You Suspect Abuse

Through Adult Protective Services, Milwaukee County DHHS Disabilities Services Division investigates all allegations of abuse, neglect, self-neglect and financial exploitation of Milwaukee County residents with disabilities.

Call (414) 289-6660

Report Abuse Here

Court Comprehensive Evaluations

We provide Court Comprehensive Evaluations for individuals with disabilities who may no longer be able to care, or make decisions, for themselves due to a disability, and whose situations are before Probate Court to determine whether a legal guardian should be appointed. Judges use these comprehensive evaluations and Division recommendations in deciding whether it would be best to appoint a legal guardian, who will advocate for the person’s care and welfare.


For those persons with disabilities under court-ordered Guardianship, Milwaukee County’s Disabilities Services Division regularly monitors to ensure appointed guardians are acting appropriately and in the best interest of the individual.

Annual Review of Guardianship (Watts Review)

In cases in which there is a protective placement order, Milwaukee County DHHS Disabilities Services Division annually conducts a Watts Review. The Watts Review includes assessing the individual's functional abilities and disabilities, as well as the adequacy of supervision and services being received. The ultimate goal is to ensure persons with disabilities are placed in the least restrictive environment and most integrated community setting.

Disabilities Services Brochures

Contact DHHS Disabilities Services Division

Visit Us


1220 W. Vliet St.

Suite 301

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53205

Our Vision

Together, creating healthy communities.

Our Mission

Empowering safe, healthy, meaningful lives.

Our Values

Partnership, Respect, Integrity, 

Diversity, Excellence

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System