In 1986, recognizing the more than $122 million economic impact of arts and cultural organizations as well as their effect on our quality of life, the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors adopted a resolution establishing a non-departmental account for cultural programming and created the Milwaukee County Cultural, Artistic and Musical Programming Advisory Council (CAMPAC) to make recommendations on allocating County grants and contracts for arts and cultural programing that best serves the community.
The arts fund is unique in that it provides organizations with funds for operations. This allows arts organizations to devote their efforts to the quality of their productions and to enhance their outreach to all ages of underserved audiences in our community, including people who are disadvantaged or have a disability.
The County Board's longstanding financial commitment to the arts is evidenced by the annual appropriation of property tax funds to support and encourage these cultural and artistic activities. The importance of this program to the economic and cultural well-being of our community cannot be overemphasized.
2023 Application Timeline (Tentative)
- July – Meeting of CAMPAC to review application criteria
- August – Applications open Aug. 21 and close Sept. 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- September 8– Meeting of CAMPAC to approve funding allocations
- September 12 – Parks & Environment Committee approval of CAMPAC funding allocations
- November – Funding distributions
Would you like to speak at the next CAMPAC meeting?
Sign up below only if you want to testify in person (virtually) at the next CAMPAC meeting – Monday, September 19 at 4 p.m.
Verify that you have the required technology:
Yes, I have a working computer, tablet, or phone with internet access
Yes, the speakers (sound) on my device work.
Yes, the microphone on my device works.
Yes, the camera on my device works.
Agenda number or issue/topic of the item you wish to speak to:
By checking this box, I affirm that I will join the meeting virtually after the start of 4 p.m. on Monday, September 19 and will participate in a courteous and respectful manner, or risk being removed from the meeting.
How to Apply for Funding
Previous award recipients will be notified of the 2023 application process.
Learn About the 2023 Application Process
Application for 2023 funding was open from Aug. 21 through Sept. 4 at 11:59 p.m.
The purpose of the County Arts Program, as provided in the County Board resolution establishing CAMPAC, is to serve as a public sector source of support for various cultural, artistic and musical organizations and individuals providing a variety of artistic genres and styles designed to reach a broad range of the county's residents, including those of different economic, social, ethnic, racial, age and neighborhood backgrounds.
The program has the following objectives:
- To provide support for arts organizations in order to improve their financial stability, encourage the development of other resources, enhance management capacity and achieve or sustain growth in the artistic quality of their programs
- To assure broad public access to a full range of artistic genres for all county residents, particularly those whose financial resources are limited, who live in more restricted settings, or who are otherwise limited by reason of age or disability
- To promote the creative growth and development of local individual artists
- To encourage the maximum usage of county-owned arts facilities
Our Advisory Council
Chair: Beth Haskovec
Dr. Barbara Leigh