- Community Events
- Share Your Voice
A recent report by the United Nations suggests that the window to avoid the worst impacts of climate change is rapidly closing. To keep global temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius by the end of this century, the world must reduce carbon emissions at least 43% by 2030 relative to 2010.
To meet the magnitude of the climate crisis, Milwaukee County is developing a bold plan to reduce carbon emissions from county operations and adapt to climate change. The Climate Action 2050 Plan will serve as a roadmap for Milwaukee County to:
- Achieve 'carbon neutrality', or zero net carbon emissions, in county operations no later than 2050
- Improve the resiliency of county operations and the community to climate change
- Align Milwaukee County's climate initiatives with its Vision to become the healthiest county in Wisconsin by achieving racial equity
A Sept. 2021 report to the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors defines guiding principles for the Climate Action 2050 Plan. In support of Milwaukee County's vision for achieving racial equity, and its commitment to carbon-neutral operations, the plan will:
- Prioritize projects that produce co-benefits to populations who are disproportionately impacted by climate change
- Identify and involve internal and external stakeholders
- Align with Milwaukee County's core functions, missions and priorities
- Leverage existing plans, initiatives and resources to build a shared commitment to climate action across county departments, community partners and the general public
The planning process will be led by clean energy consultants Energetics and Milwaukee County's Sustainability Task Force, with support from the Office of Sustainability. Other stakeholders include but are not limited to elected officials, administrators, and staff, as well as residents, businesses and community members.
Since September 2022, Milwaukee County has hosted several events for community members to learn about and help shape the Climate Action 2050 Plan (see Timeline tab). In coming months, we'll be soliciting county residents' ideas for possible emissions reduction strategies. More information will be posted here soon!
If you would like to be notified of the Climate Action 2050 Plan events, and receive general updates about Milwaukee County sustainability initiatives, please subscribe to the Office of Sustainability newsletter.
Meetings of the Sustainability Task Force are always open to the public. Learn when the group will meet, and review its past meeting agendas and minutes, via Milwaukee County's Legislative Calendar.
Please direct any questions or concerns about the Climate Action 2050 Plan to [email protected].
Share Your Voice
Milwaukee County residents - can you spare five minutes to share how climate change impacts you? Please take this brief survey from the County's Sustainability Task Force.
Milwaukee County will use the survey results to help ensure the Climate Action 2050 Plan reflects residents' diverse interests, needs and priorities.
Participation in the survey is voluntary and all responses will be kept anonymous.
Please direct any questions or concerns about the survey to [email protected].
To begin the survey, select your preferred language:
| English | Spanish | Hmong |