Human Resources
  • Refine Search

  • All Results

Medicare Medical Insurance

Health & Wellness

RNC Operational Updates for Monday, July 15, through Friday, July 19

The Milwaukee County Courthouse will remain open during the Republican National Convention (RNC). All court operations (Civil and Family Filings, Restraining Orders, Probate, In Custody Intake Court, Preliminary Hearings) will be operating at Vel Phillips Juvenile Justice Center (10201 W. Watertown Plank Rd. Wauwatosa, WI.) For more information about how other Milwaukee County services and operations will be impacted during the RNC, visit Milwaukee County's RNC updates webpage.  

Transitioning to Medicare

As a retiree, you will be mailed a Medicare Enrollment packet two to three months before you become eligible for Medicare. Milwaukee County offers two retiree health plan options.

What is the difference between the two plans?

Medicare Plan Comparison 

United Healthcare Medicare Advantage PPO Plan

2024 Medicare Advantage Plan Booklet

Visit for more information including finding a provider, medication information and to print an insurance card or review a recording of the 2024 Open Enrollment presentation to learn more about the Medicare Advantage plan.

Questions or need help? Contact UnitedHealthcare at (866) 291-1237.

Additional benefits with the Medicare Advantage PPO plan:

Works with Medicare; not considered secondary to Medicare

No referral needed to see a specialist

Provides coverage in all 50 states, DC and the 5 US territories

This plan lets you visit doctors, specialists and hospitals in or out of netowrk for the same cost share as long as the provider participates in Medicare and accepts the plan


United HealthCare Choice Plus PPO Plan

Choice Plus PPO Plan Booklet

Active employees and Pre-Medicare retirees have this coverage

Becomes secondary coverage to Medicare

$100 Annual Gym Reimbursement Form 

Open AllClose All

With the UnitedHealthcare® HouseCalls program, you get an annual in-home preventive carevisit from one of our health care practitioners at no extra cost. A HouseCalls visit is designed to support, but not take the place of your regular doctor’s care.

What to expect from a HouseCalls visit:

• A knowledgeable health care practitioner will review your health history and current.

medications, perform health screenings, help identify health risks and provide health education.

• You can talk about health concerns and ask questions that you haven’t had time to ask before.

• HouseCalls will send a summary of your visit to you and your primary care provider so theyhave this additional information regarding your health.

HouseCalls may not be available in all areas.

For more information, visit or call toll-free 1-866-447-7868,

TTY 711, 8 a.m. – 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday – Friday.


Health questions can come up anytime. NurseLine provides you 24/7 access to a registered nurse1 who can help you with sudden health concerns as well as:

• Questions about a medication

• Finding a doctor or specialist

• Understanding an ongoing health condition or new diagnosis

For more information, call toll-free 1-877-365-7949, TTY 711, 24 hours a day,7 days a week.

  Renew Program

We all want to live a healthier, happier life and Renew by UnitedHealthcare can be your guide.2 Renew, our member-only Health & Wellness Experience, includes:

• Inspiring lifestyle tips, coloring pages, recipe library, streaming music

• Interactive quizzes & tools

• Learning courses, health news, articles & videos, health topic library

• Rewards

As a UnitedHealthcare member you can explore all that Renew has to offer by logging into your member website.

  Virtual Doctor Visits

See a doctor using your computer, tablet or smartphone. With Virtual Doctor Visits, you’re able to live video chat with a doctor from your computer, tablet or smartphone — anytime, day or night. You can ask questions, get a diagnosis, or even get medication prescribed and have it sent to your pharmacy. All you need is a strong internet connection.

Virtual Doctor Visits are good for minor health concerns like:

  • Allergies, bronchitis, cold/cough
  • Fever, seasonal flu, sore throat
  • Migraines/headaches, sinus problems, stomach ache

You can find a list of participating Virtual Doctor Visit providers by logging into your member website.

Have questions or need help finding a provider? We're here to help. 

Toll-free 1-866-291-1237, TTY 711, 8am - 8pm local time 7 days a week


  Questions or Need Help Finding a Provider?

Have questions or need help finding a provider? We’re here to help:
Toll-free 1-866-291-1237, TTY 711,
8 a.m. – 8 p.m. local time, 7 days a week


  Virtual Behavioral Health Benefits

Talk to a behavioral health specialist anytime using live video chat using your computer, tablet or smartphone anytime, day or night.

Virtual Behavioral Health Visits may be best for:

• Initial evaluation

• Medication management

• Addiction

• Depression

• Trauma and loss

• Stress or anxiety

You can find a list of participating virtual behavioral visit providers by logging into your member website.

  Renew Active

Renew Active® is the gold standard in Medicare fitness programs for body and mind. And it’s available with your UnitedHealthcare® Medicare Advantage plan at no additional cost.


Stay fit

A free gym membership

Access to our nationwide network of gyms and fitness locations. It’s the largest of all Medicare fitness programs, including many premium gyms

An annual personalized fitness plan

Allows you to bring a family member or friend to the gym with you to assist in your workout, at no additional cost

Access to thousands of on-demand workout videos and live streaming fitness classes

Stay Focused

An online brain health program from AARP Staying Sharp with exclusive content for Renew Active members.

Brain health assessment

Interactive brain health challenges

Guide to Music and Brain Health, videos, fun games and more

Stay connected

Connect with other health-minded members.

Social activities at local health and wellness classes and events

Step challenges with other members through the Fitbit® Community for Renew Active — no Fitbit device is needed. Joining the community also provides access to Fitbit PremiumTM.


To learn more, visit You can call the Customer Service number on the back of your member ID card with any questions or to get your confirmation code effective January 1, 2022.

  Solutions for Caregivers

At no additional cost, Solutions for Caregivers supports you, your family and those you care for by providing information, education, resources and care planning.

• Get helpful advice, and assistance finding services and programs from a professional care manager

• Have a registered nurse perform an in-person assessment of your situation

• Receive a personalized care plan with recommendations and resources

For more information, call toll-free 1-866-896-1895, TTY 711, 24 hours a day,

7 days a week. Access educational resources, discounted products and services anytime online at Use code uhcretiree when creating an account.

To Continue Your Coverage

Up to three months before 65 years of age:

  • Sign up for Medicare Parts A and B with Social Security Administration
    • Failure to enroll in Medicare in Parts A and B will result in non-payment of claims since Milwaukee County's plans are secondary to Medicare
    • Do not sign up for Part D since the County's medical plans include a Part D

1.5 months before 65 years of age:

  • Select your medical insurance plan on the enrollment form you will receive in the mail
  • Make a copy of your Medicare card and premium letter if your Medicare Part B premiums are over the standard amount of $174.70
  • Send the copies of your Medicare card, premium letter if over $174.70 and completed enrollment form to the Total Rewards Division, 901 N. 9th St. Room 210, Milwaukee, WI 53233 by the date listed in the letter
  • Enrollment information received by Total Rewards with less than 21 days before you become Medicare eligible will result in a delay in your plan enrollment

Income-Based Medicare D Assessments

Medicare can charge an additional premium per month based on your income. If you receive a letter from the Social Security Administration referencing an “income related monthly adjustment” for your prescription drug coverage, forward a copy of that letter to the Total Rewards Division. Milwaukee County will reimburse the monthly adjustment on your pension check.

Medicare Advantage Considerations

  • Out-of-Pocket Maximums
  • Interaction With Other Coverage
  • Retirees With Pre-Medicare Dependents

If you enroll in the Medicare Advantage option mid-year, the expenses that you paid toward your claims under the Milwaukee County Choice Plus plan will not count toward fulfilling your out-of-pocket maximum under the Medicare Advantage Plan. 

Due to Medicare regulations, you can only be enrolled in one Medicare plan at a time. Enrolling in a second Medicare Advantage Plan or Part D plan will cause Medicare to terminate coverage under your current Medicare plan. If you are eligible for coverage under a Medicare Advantage plan from another employer, or a spouse’s retirement plan, you may want to consider remaining in the Choice Plus PPO. Additionally, you will want to confirm if your other plan features an Employer Group Waiver Plan (EGWP) or Medicare D option. If so, be sure to indicate this on your enrollment form.

If you have dependents who are not Medicare-eligible, you can still participate in the Medicare Advantage option. Your dependents will remain covered under the County’s Choice Plus PPO.

Open AllClose All
  How do I apply for Medicare?

Visit one of the Social Security Office Locations or visit the Medicare Website.

  When will I receive my new medical card?

You will receive your new medical card the last week of the month prior to your Medicare enrollment effective date. 

  Do I qualify for the Medicare Part B reimbursement?

If you satisfy the conditions shown, you may also be eligible for reimbursement of your Medicare B premiums. If you are eligible for this benefit, Milwaukee County will add a reimbursement of Medicare B premiums, including any income-related monthly adjustments to your pension check. This reimbursement would also apply to Medicare B premiums for eligible, covered spouses.

Union Group: Hired Before: Retired Before
Non-represented 1/1/1994 3/31/2011
DC48; Building Trades; Machinists; TEAMCO 1/1/1994 12/31/2011
Attorneys 1/1/2006 12/31/2011
FNHP 9/27/1995 12/31/2012
Doyne 1/1/1992 Not Applicable
Deputy Sheriffs 7/1/1995 Not Applicable
Firefighters 1/1/1994 Not Applicable


  What is an IRMMA form?

IRMAA is Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount. If you qualify for the Medicare Part B reimbursement and your income is high enough that you must pay an income-related monthly adjusted amount determined by the IRS, you will be reimbursed the adjusted amount. For Milwaukee County to reimburse you for your IRMAA amount, you MUST send a copy of your IRMAA letter to the Total Rewards Division upon receipt and on an annual basis. 

Failure to send in a copy will result in non-reimbursement. Milwaukee County will not reimburse past payments and only reimburse on a “going forward” basis.  

Total Rewards Contact Information


Milwaukee County Courthouse

901 North 9th Street Room 210

Milwaukee, WI 53233



Phone Number  (414) 278-4198

Fax Number   (414) 223-1379

[email protected]


Milwaukee County Courthouse
901 N. 9th St. Room 210
Milwaukee, WI 53233
(414) 278-4143 (Main Phone)
(877) 652-6377 (Main Toll Free)
(414) 223-1379 (Fax)

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System