Human Resources
  • Refine Search

  • All Results

Retiree Medical Benefit

Health & Wellness 

Learn More About Your Health Insurance Benefit

Retiree health insurance is administered through United Healthcare. Choice Plus Plan is the preferred provider organization comparable.

As a PPO participant you can:

  • Choose which doctor or health specialist you see
  • Choose an in-network or out-of-network provider each time you need health care
  • Pay substantially less when you go to an in-network provider
  • Go directly to see a specialist, without a referral from a primary care physician
  • Coinsurance
  • Co-payment
  • Deductible
  • In-Network
  • Out-of-Network
  • Out-of-Pocket Maximum

This is the percentage of the cost you pay when you receive certain healthcare services. Example: For in-network services under the Choice Plus plan, plan participants pay 20% and the County pays 80% of covered expenses for most services. The 20% share is the employee’s coinsurance. 

This is the flat-dollar amount you pay when you receive certain medical care services.  Co-pays are typically due at the time you receive service.  Example: Enrollees in the plan pay a $30 co-pay for in-network doctor’s office visits. 

This is the amount you are required to pay each year before the plan begins to pay benefits. You begin accumulating expenses toward the satisfaction of your deductible at the beginning of each year (January 1). Example: With each new benefit year, employees who elect self-only coverage under the Choice Plus Plan pay the first $1,250 toward services subject to the plan's deductible. Employees who elect coverage for themselves and their spouse pay the first $1,250 per individual, up to a maximum of $2,500 per family, toward services subject to the plan’s deductible. 

This is care or services provided by doctors, hospital, labs or other facilities that participate in the network of providers assembled by United Healthcare. Generally, you pay less when you receive care in-network because the providers in the network agree to charge a pre-negotiated, lower fee. This reduces your out-of-pocket cost and claims costs. 

This is the care or services furnished by doctors, hospitals, labs or other facilities that DO NOT participate in the United Healthcare’s provider network. If you use an out-of-network provider, your share of the cost is based on the reasonable and customary charges allowed by the plan.  Amounts charged over the reasonable and customary do not count toward annual deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums. 


Be sure you understand the amount you will be required to pay out of your own pocket if you seek care out-of-network. 

When you meet the annual out-of-pocket maximum, the plan will pay the full cost of covered expenses for the remainder of the calendar year. Covered expenses (e.g., deductible and coinsurance amounts) apply toward the out-of-pocket maximum. Prescription drug co-payments are not applied toward the out-of-pocket maximum. In addition, out-of-pocket costs incurred for non-covered services or supplies in excess of the plan’s covered expenses (e.g., expenses incurred for out-of-network that exceed the reasonable or customary changes allowed by the plan) are not applied toward the out-of-pocket maximum; these non-covered charges are the plan participant’s financial responsibility. 

Open AllClose All
  What are my health plan options?

Milwaukee County retirees, upon retirement, have the option to enroll in the Choice Plus PPO Plan and if you are Medicare eligible, the option to enroll in the Milwaukee County Medicare Advantage Plan.

Please review the 2023 Medical At A Glance Guide for more information. 


Both plans are administered through United Health Care (UHC). 


  How much will I have to pay for health care coverage?

As you were advised during your retirement counseling, you are required to pay some or no contribution toward your health care coverage, based on your hire date and union group. If you do not qualify for county-paid medical premiums, refer to the Medical Premium Rate Sheet.

  If I have medical coverage through Milwaukee County, do I still need Medicare?

Yes. Milwaukee County’s Retiree medical plans coordinate with Medicare. You must enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B when you become eligible for any reason, including disability. You are not required to enroll in the prescription drug benefits offered under Medicare Part D. Notify the Benefits Division when you become eligible for Medicare. Failure to notify us could result in the non-payment of claims.

  What are my medical options when I am eligible for Medicare?

Refer to Transition to Medicare to view your medical plan options.

  Where can I find a Gym Reimbursement Form?

Please print off the Gym Reimbursement Form and submit directly to United Health Care (UHC) via mail to the address on the form.  Please submit a copy of a receipt of your gym fees or home ondemand program.  As a reminder, UHC will reimburse up to $100 per year for fees paid, not future fees.  

  Where can I find the form to update my Beneficiaries for my Life Insurance?

Total Rewards Contact Information


Milwaukee County Courthouse

901 N. 9th St. Room 210

Milwaukee, WI 53233



Phone Number  (414) 278-4198

Fax Number   (414) 223-1379

[email protected]


Milwaukee County Courthouse
901 N. 9th St. Room 210
Milwaukee, WI 53233
(414) 278-4143 (Main Phone)
(877) 652-6377 (Main Toll Free)
(414) 223-1379 (Fax)

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System