Intern With the County Board of Supervisors
Interning at the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors gives students pursuing an education at a university or technical school with a focus on public policy, political science, rhetorical leadership, public and non-profit administration, and/or law, a unique introduction to local government. Interns will cultivate the necessary real-world experiences involved with working for an office devoted to serving the public. These paid positions exist to ensure that any student who wants the training and education that comes with an internship at the Board of Supervisors can move forward with the opportunity, regardless of socioeconomic standing.
Seeking a student pursuing an education at a university or technical school with a focus on public policy, political science, rhetorical leadership, public and non-profit administration, and/or law for a part-time, less than 20 hours per week, paid internship position with the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors, the legislative branch of County government. The position pays $15 per hour under a period equal to one college semester (e.g., the first day of class to the last day). Paid interns report to County Board Chairwoman and provide services to department and district supervisory offices.
Intern tasks include but are not limited to:
- Support County Supervisors and staff with various projects related to public policy
- Support communications with daily projects, such as tracking press release requests from district Supervisory offices, pull links for daily press clips, and generate posts on both the official County Board of Supervisors’ social media pages
- Represent the Board at various events throughout the County
- Provide support with Intergovernmental Relations, such as tracking legislation and completing the process of sorting records for historical retention
- In September 2021, the Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to adopt a resolution creating two hourly Intern positions
- Internship sessions include spring, summer and fall. The hiring process for the summer internship session is now open and the application window will close Monday, May 16 at 11:59 p.m.
If you need further information, contact Intern Coordintor Zari Miller via email or call (414) 278-4994.
We are incredibly proud of the students who have completed our program and are pleased to share their accomplishments following their tenure as interns.
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
Briceida served as a Milwaukee County Board Intern in Spring 2019. Her internship helped her earn credit for a certificate in Peace and Conflict Resolution Studies. After graduating from UW-Milwaukee in 2020, the County Board hired Briceida as a Legislative Assistant. In this role, Briceida supports the Chairwoman with district operations, constituent services and legislative services.
Fall 2020 & Spring 2021
Concordia University Wisconsin
“Interning for the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors has been such an engaging and exciting experience. I’ve been exposed to a wide array of projects that have challenged me to grow as a young professional. From conducting research for the Chairwoman’s Office to drafting social media posts, I’ve always felt surrounded by mentors who wanted to expand my skillset. It was a privilege to intern for the Board of Supervisors, and I look forward to utilizing my new skillset as I further my career in government and public policy.”