Milwaukee County Courts
  • Refine Search

  • All Results

Civil Court

Large Claims, Small Claims, Family and Paternity


Who We Are

The Civil Division of the Milwaukee County Clerk of Circuit Court processes cases for the civil and family courts in Milwaukee County. Cases include matters regarding small claims (for amounts less than $10,000), large claims, garnishments, restraining orders, divorce, paternity, state tax liens and satisfactions.

Contact Us


Civil Courts are located in the Milwaukee County Courthouse, 901 N. 9th St.

The Safety Building is open. In-person office hours are 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Remote Court Appearance Instructions

Large Claims

Large claims are claims for money in excess of $10,000 or tort claims in excess of $5,000. Large claims have to be personally drafted. If you are representing yourself and do not have a lawyer, and wish to file a large claims motion, you are required to draft your own documents.

Notice of Motion and Motion to Reopen (Large Claims)

Small Claims

You can use the Milwaukee Justice Center website to assist you in filling out forms for a variety of legal issues. You can use the site to start a new small claims action or update the complaint of an existing small claims action. In addition, you can respond to a small claims action that has been filed against you.

The most common types of small claims cases are:

  • Claim for money: civil actions where the amount claimed is $10,000 or less, if the actions or proceedings are for money judgments or garnishment of wages
  • Torts/personal injury: civil actions where the amount claimed is $5,000 or less
  • Actions for eviction, regardless of the amount of back rent that is claimed
  • Actions for replevin (return of personal property) if the property claimed is $10,000 or less

Less common types of small claims cases are:

  • Action on an arbitration award for the purchase of real estate
  • Return of earnest money for the purchase of real estate
  • Eviction action due to foreclosure

File Now


Use these forms to respond to a foreclosure complaint. You can also find important procedural information on how to file your case using the resources listed. 

Checklist & Forms

Mediation Help

Wisconsin Foreclosure Mediation Network
Phone: (414) 939-8800
P.O. Box 633, Milwaukee, WI 53201

Legal Help

Legal Aid Society of Milwaukee
Phone: (414) 727-5300
728 N. James Lovell St., Milwaukee, WI 53233

About Civil Lawsuits

What types of cases are filed in civil court?

The most common civil suits involve claims for money or property worth over $10,000. If the claim involves money or property worth $10,000 or less, it must be filed in small claims court. Other types of civil suits are declaratory judgments and appeals from government agency decisions.

How do I start a civil case?

A civil lawsuit is usually started with the filing of a summons and a complaint. A summons is a notice that informs the defendant (the person being sued) that a lawsuit has been filed. A complaint is a document in which the plaintiff (the person who files the lawsuit) says why they are suing the defendant and what they want the court to do. There is also a filing fee that must be paid, which varies by type of case. The fee is paid and the documents are filed in Room 104 of the courthouse.

Does the court provide forms for the summons and complaint?

No. Summonses and complaints may be different in each case. The court can’t tell you what type of information it must contain, as the information must be specific to your case. See Chapter 801, Wisconsin Statutes. The Milwaukee County Law Library (room G9 of the courthouse) may have formbooks that show you how to format your summons and complaint, but you must hire an attorney if you want information on what to write.

What happens after I file?

Once you file, you must have the defendant personally served. If the defendant lives in Milwaukee County, you can use the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department, located on the First Floor in Room 102 of the Safety Building. The Sheriff's Department charges $75.00 for three attempts. You may also hire a private process server. You may not serve the defendant yourself. You may not mail the papers.

When do I get to go to court?

A civil case has many court hearings. You must appear in person for each one. The first is generally a scheduling conference, where the judge sets deadlines for discovery and other things that the judge may order.

What is discovery?

Wisconsin law allows each party to find out about the evidence and witnesses that the other party may use at trial. Some discovery is done in writing (e.g., interrogatories and requests for production of documents). Some discovery is done in person (e.g., depositions). The court cannot help you with discovery. The Legal Resource Center may have more information about the various types of discovery.

What happens at trial? Do I get to tell the judge or jury my story?

Civil trials are formal events. If you do not have an attorney, you must act as your own attorney. The judge cannot assist you, because he or she must remain neutral. You must prove your case to the judge or jury by submitting evidence and by having witnesses testify for you. You can also testify on your own behalf. The defendant (or their attorney) may question your witnesses and you can question the defendant’s witnesses. However, there are rules about what kinds of evidence and testimony you can present and how it is presented and the judge will make you follow those rules, even though you are not an attorney.

If I need an attorney, how do I find one? Can the court appoint one for me?

There are no court-appointed attorneys for civil cases. If you need an attorney, you can call the Milwaukee Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service at (414) 274-6768. If income is an issue, you need to tell the Lawyer Referral Service that information. They may be able to help you find an attorney.

How to Access Civil Records

Civil case records are available online or by completing a request form.

If you use the request form, complete and save it to your computer, and then email it to: [email protected].

Some information in court files is only available in the paper record. Call (414) 278-4135 or visit the Milwaukee County Clerk of Circuit Court's Civil Records Center in room G-9 of the Milwaukee County Courthouse.

Other Civil Court Services

Amortization of Debt (Chapter 128)

For step-by-step instructions on how to file, general information and help finding a lawyer, visit the Milwaukee Justice Center.

Name Change

For step-by-step instructions on serving papers, general information and help finding a lawyer, visit the Milwaukee Justice Center.

Correct/Amend Vital Records

To correct or amend a Wisconsin Birth Certificate, fill out the form, sign it.

Court Order to Amend a Wisconsin Birth Certificate

Satisfying a Judgement

After a judment is paid, either party can file a notarized "Satisfaction of Judgment" form with the Milwaukee County Clerk of Circuit Court's office.

Satisfaction of Judgement

Poverty Guidelines for Earnings | Definitions and Exemptions

Poverty Guidelines for Earnings

Temporary Restraining Order or Injunction

For more information on filing a temporary restraining order or injuction, contact Sojurner Truth House.

Here is the form you need to apply for a waiver of fees. Fill out the form, sign it in front of a Notary Public, and take it and proof of your eligibility (including proof of benefits currently being received, or the most recent month's worth of pay stubs/proof of income) to Room 609 of the Milwaukee County Courthouse for consideration. Once approved, this waiver of fees is good for 30 days.

Fee Waiver Form


901 North 9th Street, Room 104
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53233
(414) 278-5362


Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System