Personnel Review Board

Personnel Review Board

Ensuring Fair and Impartial Due Process Hearings for Employees 

Staff for the Office of the Personnel Review Board and Ethics Board work off-site but are available to meet in person by appointment. Use the email addresses linked below for the quickest response to your questions and inquiries.

Email Personnel Review Board

Email Ethics Board

What We Do

The Board ensures fair and impartial due process hearings for the suspension, demotion or discharge of county employees in the classified service, as provided by and as prescribed under Wisconsin Statutes 63.10 and 63.12, and Chapters 33, 17.2079 and Civil Service Rule VII, Section 4 of the Milwaukee County General Ordinances.

How to File a Citizen Complaint

The Personnel Review Board does not offer or give legal advice. The citizen must seek legal advice from his or her own legal counsel. The citizen takes the position of prosecutor to present a disciplinary case against an employee before the Personnel Review Board. Any accused employee who comes before the Board on a citizen complaint has the option of representing themselves or having legal counsel. Following is the Personnel Review Board's Rules of Procedure related to citizen complaints.

Who Can File Charges

A. It shall be the duty of the department director to file charges against any person in the classified service and subordinate to that department director if, in that person's opinion, there is cause for demotion, suspension or discharge.

B. If a department director neglects or refuses to file charges, it shall be the duty of the Director of the Department of Human Resources to file charges if the Director of the Department of Human Resources believes that there is cause to file charges against any person in the classified service.

C. Any citizen, except those mentioned in A and B above or an individual acting in a representative capacity for any group or organization, may file charges against any person in the classified service, as long as:

  1. The allegations contained in the charge are made under oath and formally notarized; and
  2. Such allegations are supported by the Affidavit of one or more witnesses who are alleged to have first-hand knowledge of the facts underlying the allegations.

Civil Service Rules are used to determine the allegations of the employee for the administering of discipline. One or more of the rules must be stated in order for the Personnel Review Board to hear the allegations.

The complaint must be filed with the Personnel Review Board office, Courthouse, Room 212-E. Upon filing of complaint, the executive secretary shall verify compliance of such complaint with 1 and 2 above; and, when so verified, the executive secretary shall place said complaint on the agenda for the Personnel Review Board's determination as to whether the charges warrant a hearing.

Contact the Board

The Personnel Review Board staff are available to answer questions regarding the disciplinary process of Milwaukee County employees. Complaints, correspondence, etc. must be served to the Personnel Review Board office. Contact the Personnel Review Board staff at:

Milwaukee County Personnel Review Board
Milwaukee County Courthouse
901 N. 9th St., Room 212-E
Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: (414) 278-4218

Call Now       Email

Stay Informed

Receive notification of the Personnel Review Board's upcoming meetings right to your email! To do so, sign up for E-Notify. 

First Time Users: Sign up for E-Notify. Once you are logged in, select the menu titled "Subscriptions" and choose the Personnel Review Board from the News Releases - Milwaukee County dropdown menu.

Register for E-Notify

Already signed up for E-Notify? Add the Personnel Review Board to your subscriptions.

Personnel Review Board Meetings

Please wait while we gather your results.



Attorney Adam J. Gilmore - Administrator
Milwaukee County Courthouse
901 N. 9th St., Room 212-E
Milwaukee, WI 53233

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System



Looking for Milwaukee County Services?

Visit Milwaukee County