Purple Heart Pass
The Purple Heart is unique among military awards, in that the criterion for the award is very objective: You must be wounded during action with an enemy of the United States.
While clearly an individual decoration, the Purple Heart differs from all other decorations in that an individual is not "recommended" for the decoration; rather he or she is entitled to it upon meeting the specific criteria.
Recipients of the Purple Heart are indeed a special group of American veterans. Milwaukee County Executive Chris Abele started the program in 2013 as a way to recognize that award by granting Wisconsin's Purple Heart recipients a free pass to some of Milwaukee County's world class attractions.
The pass will continue indefinitely. The pass allows free admission year round for the passholder and a guest.
Free Admission to These Attractions
- Harley-Davidson Museum
- Milwaukee Art Museum
- Milwaukee Public Museum
- Milwaukee County Zoo
- Discovery World
- Boerner Botanical Gardens & Mitchell Park Domes
- Civil War Museum in Kenosha
- Neville Public Museum
- Brown County NEW Zoo
- Green Bay Botanical Gardens
- Green Bay Gamblers games
- Blizzard football games, Brown County Golf Course (9 holes/season)
- Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame (starting summer of 2015)
- Free boat launches at all Brown County public launch sites
- Highgrounds Veterans Memorial Park in Neillsville, free tours to the passholder and guests.
- Wisconsin Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, free admission year-round to the passholder and one guest.
- Elmer's Auto and Toy Museum in Fountain City, free admission to the passholder and one guest. (The museum is open weekends only, May through September)