What Is PREA?
The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual assaults and sexual misconduct in correctional institutions. Sexual abuse includes: inmate on inmate sexual abuse, inmate on inmate sexual harassment, staff on inmate sexual abuse and staff on inmate sexual harassment.
The Milwaukee County House of Correction has a zero tolerance for incidences of sexual abuse or misconduct within its facility. It is the policy of the Milwaukee County House of Correction to provide a safe, humane and secure environment free from threat of sexual abuse for all inmates in custody by maintaining a program of prevention, detection and response. Any person accused of such inappropriate acts will be subjected to investigation, and will also be referred to law enforcement when applicable.
Purpose of the Prison Rape Elimination Act
The purpose of the Prison Rape Elimination act is to “provide for the analysis of the incidence and effects of prison rape in federal, state and local institutions and to provide information, resources and recommendations to protect individuals from prison rape.”
How to Report Sexual Harassment or Sexual Misconduct
Inmates who have been subjected to sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct or victimization, or know someone who has been the victim of sexual harassment while in the custody of the Milwaukee County House of Correction, should either:
- Notify their housing unit officer immediately
- Notify the psych social worker (PSW) via triage form
- Contact the jail chaplain
- Call the PREA hotline by dialing *789
- Fill out an inmate grievance form
- Send a written letter to the MCHOC PREA Administrators, 8885 S. 68th St., Franklin, WI 53132
- Ask a family member or friend to call the jail shift commander at (414) 427-4700
Inmates calling the hotline regarding another inmate do not have to give their name; however, it is critical that as many details as possible are given; including:
- The names and locations of persons involved
- The dates and times the incident occurred
- Any potential witnesses to the incident
- A brief description of the incident or specific details
Civilians who have information regarding a Milwaukee County House of Correction inmate who has been the victim of sexual misconduct while in the custody of the Milwaukee County House of Correction may report information by mail or email.
Milwaukee County House of Correction
Prison Rape Elimination Act Coordinator
8885 S. 68th St.
Franklin, WI 53132
It is the resolution of the Milwaukee County House of Correction that no inmate will suffer in silence. We will maintain and ensure a safe and secure environment for the public, staff and inmates.