Department of Health and Human Services

Benefits and Services

Aid to Needy Veterans

Healthcare Grant

The Veterans Service Office assists needy veterans in applying for healthcare aid grants. Approved grants may be used for a veteran's dental or eye care, or hearing aids. 

Subsistence Grant

Subsistence Aid grants may be available to cover basic costs of living expenses where illness, injury or death cause a loss or reduction of income. To qualify, the veteran must have suffered a loss of income in the previous 120 days. There is a lifetime limit on these grants.

For both grants, the household income must be at or under 180% of the current federal poverty level guidelines for family size. For example, for a single veteran, living alone, the maximum monthly household income is $1,821. There are additional qualification requirements.

Call Now

Property Tax Credit

This program provides a property tax credit for taxes paid on the primary, in-state residence via a state income tax form for:

  • Eligible veterans who entered military service from Wisconsin or have lived in Wisconsin for five consecutive years and have a VA service-connected disability rating of 100% (scheduler or individual unemployablity)
  • The unremarried surviving spouse of eligible veteran
  • The unremarried surviving spouse of a veteran who entered active duty as a Wisconsin resident, died in the line of duty, and was a Wisconsin resident at the time of death
  • The unremarried surviving spouse who is receiving dependency and indemnity compensation (DIC)

Call Now

Wisconsin G.I. Bill - State Veteran Tuition Waivers

The Wisconsin G.I. Bill Highlights

  • Provides a waiver (remission) of tuition and fees for eligible veterans and their dependents
  • Covers up to eight full-time semesters or 128 credits
  • Covers studies at any University of Wisconsin System or Wisconsin Technical College System institution

For additional information, eligibility criteria, instructions on how to apply for the Wisconsin G.I. Bill, and statutory citations for the program, see the WDVA Toolkit.

Tuition Remission Categories

  1. Wisconsin G.I. Bill for Veterans: 100% tuition/fee remission for 128 credit hours. The veteran must:
    • Have been a Wisconsin resident at the time of entry onto active duty
    • Fulfill character of service and active duty service requirements
    • Have a home of record of Wisconsin at time of enlistement or have lived in Wisconsin for five consecutive years immediately prior to applying
  2. Wisconsin G.I. Bill for Dependents: 100% remission is provided to the following dependents of an eligible veteran:
  • Spouse
  • Unremarried surviving spouse
  • Child between the ages of 18 and 26

For qualifying Wisconsin veterans whose spouse or child is enrolling in school:

  • Must have been a Wisconsin resident at the time of entry onto active duty or  lived in Wisconsin for five conseuctive years and
  • Is currently rated by the federal Veterans Administration with a combined service-connected disability rating of 30% or greater (effective fall semester 2005) or
  • Died in the line of duty while on active, reserve or guard duty (effective fall semester 2005) or
  • Died as the direct result of a service-connected disability, as determined by the federal Veterans Administration (effective July 1, 2006)

For qualifying spouses and unremarried surviving spouses:

  • There is no delimiting date
  • The spouse or un-remarried surviving spouse may attend full-time or part-time

For qualifying dependent children:

  • The benefit is available from ages 18 to 26
  • The child must attend full-time
  • The child must reside in Wisconsin


How to Obtain a Copy of Your Discharge Papers (DD214)

Requests may be made by the veteran or the next of kin (e.g., surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister or brother) of a deceased, former member of the military.

  • Online
  • By Mail
  • In-Person

National Record Center. Download the Request for Military Records SF180 and follow mailing directions.

If the veteran applied for state of Wisconsin veterans benefits, a copy of the DD214 may be in our files. Call us at (414) 266-1234 or visit our office Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Assistance With State and Federal Veterans Benefits

Our office assists veterans and their families with all types of state and federal veterans benefits including:

  • Veterans Assistance Program (VAP), outreach and aid for homeless veterans
  • Review and upgrade of military discharges
  • Federal Veterans Administration claims assistance
  • Employment Assistance - WDVA employment, Troops to Teacher Program, veterans civil service preferences, empoyment links
  • Education Programs - Academic Credit for Military Experience, Federal G.I. Bill information
  • Transportation to medical appointments
  • Free small game hunting and fishing licenses for disabled veterans
  • Federal Veterans Administration Home Loan Program

Call Us

Retraining Grants

This program is aimed at especially helping those who have lost jobs in the previous 12 months or suffered a loss of income. We can help to obtain training or education for entry into other areas of employment. It will also cover the cost of on-the-job training under certain well-documented circumstances.

The training schools must be other than four-year institutions and must be approved by the State of Wisconsin Education Approval Board (EAB). Visit the EAB website for a list of approved schools in a wide range of trades and occupations.

Visit EAB


1220 W. Vliet St.

Suite 301

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53205

Our Vision

Together, creating healthy communities.

Our Mission

Empowering safe, healthy, meaningful lives.

Our Values

Partnership, Respect, Integrity, 

Diversity, Excellence

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System