Values and beliefs that provide a purpose in our lives are central to a sense of spiritual wellness. This is a highly personal matter for each individual.
While different individuals may have different views of what spiritualism is, it is generally considered to be the search for meaning and purpose in human existence, leading one to strive for a state of harmony with oneself and others while working to balance inner needs with the rest of the world. An individual's spirituality may be defined by religious faith, values, beliefs, principles, and /or morals.
The National Wellness Institute says spiritual wellness follows the following tenets:
- It is better to ponder the meaning of life for ourselves and to be tolerant of the beliefs of others than to close our minds and become intolerant.
- It is better to live each day in a way that is consistent with our values and beliefs than to do otherwise and feel untrue to ourselves.
Are you engaged in the process of spiritual wellness?
Evaluate your own spiritual wellness with this brief quiz.
- Do I make time for relaxation in my day?
- Do I make time for meditation and/or prayer?
- Do my values guide my decisions and actions?
- Am I accepting of the views of others?
If you answered "No" to any of the questions, it may indicate an area where you need to improve the state of your spiritual wellness.