The Milwaukee County Clerk is an acceptance agent for U.S. Passport applications. Passport applications are taken Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Passport photos are also available at a cost of $10.00. All persons applying for a passport, including children must be present during the application process. Both parents must sign the application of a passport for a child under the age of 16. You can expect your passport in about four to six weeks.
Cost of a Passport Book
Adult (16 years of age and older): $135.00 ($110 plus $25 processing fee)
Child (under the age of 16 years): $105.00 ($80 plus $25 processing fee)
Cost of a Passport Card
The card can only be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at U.S. land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry.
Adult (16 years of age and older): $55.00 ($30 plus $25 processing fee)
Child (under the age of 16 years): $40.00 ($15 plus $25 processing fee)
We accept cash, check, or credit/debit cards for passports.
- If paying by check, you will need two checks - one check will be made out to the United States Department of State for the applicable cost of the passport book/card and the second check will be made out to the Milwaukee County Clerk for the processing fee and, if applicable, passport photo.
- If paying by credit/debit card, there is a 3% convenience fee charged for all credit/debit transactions.
Expedited Passport Service
Expedited service is available for an additional fee of $60.00 for each passport, plus $18.30 for the cost of overnight mail. If you choose expedited service, you can expect your passport in about two to three weeks.
Documents Required to Obtain a Passport
- certified birth certificate
- valid government issued photo identification card; such as, driver's license
- a photocopy of photo identification card (along with original ID) which must be presented at time of application (photocopy must be front and back side of the ID on the same side of 81/2 x 11 white paper)
For travel details, additional information, or to download the passport application form, please refer to the U.S. State Department website at the following link: http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html.
To obtain Milwaukee County birth records, please contact the Milwaukee County Register of Deeds.
To obtain Wisconsin birth records, please contact Wisconsin Vital Records Services.
To obtain out-of-state birth records, please contact the National Center for Heath Statistics or VitalChek.
Passport information is also available by telephone, in English and Spanish, by calling the National Passport Information Center toll free at 1-877-487-2778.
If you have any questions, please call (414) 278-4067 or email the County Clerk's Office.