In the News
March/April 2015 issue Sheriff magazine contains a column, "The Wrong War," by Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. Click here to read the column.
January 19, 2015 - Sheriff Clarke interview on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., - Vicki McKenna - WISN1130
December 24, 2014 - A chaplain of a fire and police department sent a letter and a prayer to his troops. Read entire letter and prayer here. Police officer prayer.
December 23, 2014 - Sheriff Clarke on Mayor de Blasio/NYPD rift. Click here.
December 22, 2014 - Vigilantes on the Freeway - by Rick Esenberg in Right Wisconsin. Esenberg is president and general counsel of the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty and an adjunct professor of law at Marquette University Law School.
December 22, 2014 - Letter from President of National Sheriffs Association in support of law enforcement officers. Click here to read.
December 15, 2014 - Sheriff Clarke released a public service announcement in support of law enforcement officers. To listen, CLICK HERE. Text below.
Our law enforcement officers are under attack and need your help. This is Sheriff David Clarke. Opportunistic politicians in high profile positions are bending over backwards trying to score some cheap political points. Aided by cop-hating anarchists, they are slandering your communities’ finest. Are we perfect? Far from it; but our communities would collapse into chaos without us. Most people get that. The next time you see an officer, stop them and thank them for their service. They need that…Can I count on you?
November 26, 2104 - Local Milwaukee activist approves of violence in Ferguson. Read comments here.
Alderman Donovan sent out a news release today about the City of Milwaukee public safety in disarray: Click here to read release.
City of Oak Creek's Community Health Improvement Plan - Alcohol and Drug Task Force is hosting a community discussion on teen drug use and prevention, "What Parents Don't Know and Teens Aren't Telling," on Oct. 30, 2014, 6pm-8pm. Read more.
This is one reason why Sheriff Clarke embraces the fact that the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel calls him unreasonable:
2014 MCSO Awards Program - Sheriff Clarke honored deputies, correctional officers and civilians for heroic acts and community service. Read details in the program. Visit our Facebook page to see photos of all of the recipients.
August 26, 2014 - Editorial cartoon in the Chicago Tribune, by Scott Stantis. Caption: "We, the media, find you guilty! How do you plead?" (Media to law enforcement officer).
June 27, 2014 - Editorial cartoon in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 'We will continue to report subtle insinuations that ALL police officers are RACIST thugs and militarized soulless drones to BOOST our RATINGS - so stay tuned!'
June 16, 2014 - Alderman Donovan issued a news release today, "Where's the Plan," and a copy of his letter to Mayor Barrett after a particularly violent weekend of shootings in Milwaukee. Looks like Sheriff Clarke is not the only one accusing the mayor of being MIA on crime and violence. The Sentinel Journal usually ignores Alderman Donovan like they do the Sheriff, so do not expect this to receive any print news attention. Click here to read release and letter.
June 5, 2014 - Nice letter from Marquette University's Father Wild to Sheriff Clarke in thanks for his support of Wisconsin Act 265. Click here to read letter.
June 3, 2014 - Looks like others are beginning to speak out on what has been said by the Sheriff for quite some time. It should be obvious to anyone with their eyes wide open that Tom Barrett's lack of vision and strategy is painfully obvious. Click here to read news release from Ald. Joe Davis. "Milwaukee, is out of control."
February 24, 2014 - Mayor Barrett's State of the City Address
February 7, 2014 - Tom Kertscher's "PolitiFact" on Sheriff Clarke's comments made during interview on residency is more fiction than fact. Listen to the interview for his full response to reporter Don Walker. Sheriff doesn't claim the entire bill is city tax as Kertscher states.
November 13, 2013 - Milwaukee is Dying the Death of a Thousand Cuts: Is There a Doctor in the House? MPS chart
October 31, 2013 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Misrepresents sheriff's park patrol stats in "editori-a-lie."
October 29, 2013 - Squad dash cam video of pursuit of drunken driver. DUI-3rd crashes, car goes airborne and strikes squad's front window, injuring deputy.
October 29, 2013 - Squad dash cam of second squad involved in pursuit, crashing into attenuator barrels and debris from drunken driver crash.
October 29, 2013 - Squad dash cam from third squad, showing first two squads involved in crash caused by drunken driver.
Vice Admiral Hunt received his BS from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1975 and a Master of Science in Telecommunications Systems Management in 1988 from the Naval Postgraduate School.
- August 2013
Sheriff Clarke appears on Geraldo Rivera's Fox News program to discuss the stop and frisk law:
Segment 1 - Geraldo Rivera introduction to the segment on the stop and frisk law
Segment 2 - Sheriff Clarke states the activist judge's decision is not grounded in law and will not stand
Segment 3 - Discussion on racial profiling
Segment 4 - Final comments on racial profiling
- Sheriff Clarke sat on a panel at Community Brainstorming on Saturday, June 22. The topic for discussion centered on the 2nd Amendment and the black community in Milwaukee. Read more here.
- Letter from Milwaukee resident in support of Sheriff Clarke. The writer noted that he sent it as a letter to the editor, but he only sees negative letters printed in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
- County Board committee votes 4 to 3 to silence Sheriff Clarke on personal safety announcements. Read Supervisor Alexander's news release detailing the hypocrisy of some of her colleagues on the board. Click here.
- M Magazine, Milwaukee's premier lifestyle magazine, features a cover and profile story on Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. Read the article here.
- May 2013 - Click here to listen to Sheriff Clarke's third personal safety announcement.
Text of message:
I’m Sheriff Clarke. To avoid being a victim of crime you don’t have to be the toughest or fastest person on the block. Your age and gender don’t matter either. Here’s what’s important…attention to your surroundings is critical…recognize the threat… know who’s around you when walking down the street, getting into your car or going into your home. And if you smell trouble??? Trust your instincts…be decisive…use the element of surprise against your attacker, and most importantly, be ruthless in your response. Are you ready?
-May 17, 2013 - The Milwaukee County Board Supervisor Pat Jursik proposes an ordinance aimed at Sheriff Clarke to prohibit his Public Safety Announcements. Read the ordinance here.
- May 3, 2013 - Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. and members of the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office command gather outside Hi-Mount Boulevard Community School for a wreath-laying ceremony marking the 11th anniversary of the disappearance of Alexis Patterson. They are joined by The Reverend Don Darius Butler, MCSO Associate Chaplain and Pastor of Tabernacle Community Baptist Church in Milwaukee.The school, at 49th and Garfield in Milwaukee's Washington Heights neighborhood, was attended by Alexis, a 7-year-old and a first-grader, when she vanished on May 3, 2002. Sheriff Clarke continues to plea that anyone having information regarding Alexis Patterson contact the Milwaukee Police Cold Case Hotline at 414.935.1212 or the Milwaukee Sheriff's Office Dispatch Center at 414.278.4788. Information leading to the return of Alexis, or those responsible for her abduction, remain eligible for a $10,000 reward from the Sheriff's Office. Click to view picture of ceremony.
- May 1, 2013 - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article and statement from Sheriff Clarke on judge's ruling to shift control of the County Correctional Facility-South (formerly the House of Correction) away from the Sheriff's Office. Read article and statement here.
- April 9, 2013 - Read Charlie Sykes' take on a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article about an audit regarding the Sheriff's Office: At what cost would these savings come?
- March 7, 2013 - An undercover deputy was able to get a gun through six court complex security screening checkpoints recently. The County Executive's Office oversees court complex security. Sheriff Clarke has called attention to County Executive Abele about problems with the Milwaukee County Courthouse Complex security since 2011. Read the letter the sheriff sent the county executive in Nov. 2011 with recommendations on improving security. The letter was ignored, and the sheriff sent out a release in Nov. 2011. Read letter here. Read release.
- March 4, 2013 - Letter from Sheriff Clarke to Senator Lindsey Graham regarding testimony of Chief Flynn on Feb. 26. Read the letter here.
- March 2013 - Click here to listen to Sheriff Clarke's second personal safety public service announcement
Text of message:
This is Sheriff David Clarke. Violent crime went up nearly 10% in Milwaukee. Are you the next victim? You don’t have to be! But that’s your call.
Armed criminals are being put back on the street by a soft-on-crime court system even before the ink dries on police reports. Are you prepared to handle a life or death threat?
Wisconsin’s Personal Protection Act now gives you the same advantage that I have. Now it’s the crook who has to wonder what you might do. It can be a great equalizer… but you always have to think survival… Remember, it’s you and me now.
- January 2013 - Click here to listen to Sheriff Clarke's personal safety public service announcement
Text of message:
I’m Sheriff David Clarke, and I want to talk to you about something personal…your safety. It’s no longer a spectator sport; I need you in the game, but are you ready? With officers laid-off and furloughed, simply calling 9-1-1 and waiting is no longer your best option. You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back; but are you prepared? Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there. You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?
Comic strip shows reaction to the personal safety message. Click here to view.
- January 28, 2013 - Milw.Journal Sentinel Poll: Is Sheriff Clarke right to call for citizens to arm themselves for self defense? Click here for poll results
- December 19, 2012 - National topic - gun control:
- September 27, 2012 - MCSO Awards Ceremony. Click here to read about this year's awardees.
Sheriff Clarke made an appearance on Geraldo Rivera's Fox News "Geraldo at Large" program to discuss the stop-and-frisk law and racial profiling. Segment 1. Segment 2. Segment 3. Closing comment-Segment 4.