Milwaukee County Historical Facts

CHOOSE AN ERA TO EXPLORE

 1674-1850

 1850-1940

 1940-1980

 1980-Present

 

 YEAR

HISTORICAL FACT

1674

Father Jacques Marquette visits site of Milwaukee.

1699

October. Francois Buisson de St. Cosme and four other priests find a large town of mixed Indians and call it "Melwarik".

1779

First sailing vessel arrives, British ship "Felicity".

1795

Jacques Vieau, agent of the Northwest Co., makes Milwaukee headquarters for a chain of trading posts. Place is settled by Potawatomi, Wauk, Fox and Winnebago Indians.

1818

April 18
Michigan Territory is increased to include Wisconsin.
September 14
Solomon Laurent Juneau arrives.

1831

February 8
Menominee Indians cede lands north and east of Milwaukee River (or between river and Lake Michigan) to U.S.A.

1832

Milwaukee is given mail service on route established between Chicago and Green Bay.   Alexis Clermont, carrier, is paid $60 for round trip requiring one month.

1833

September 26
Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawatomi Indians relinquish claim to territory east of Winnebago cession and south of Menominee cession. (Included in Milwaukee's present south side.)

1834

Settlers began to arrive at Milwaukee.
George H. Walker settles south of confluence of Milwaukee, Menominee and Kinnickinnic Rivers, later known as "Walker's Point". Byron Kilbourn, surveyor, arrives. Mrs. Quartus Quarlery, first white woman in Milwaukee, arrives.

1835

June 17
First steamboat, "The United States", arrives in Milwaukee.
July 30 – August 9
First public land sale of Milwaukee area takes place at Green Bay. Juneau acquires, for $165.82, a tract of 132.65 acres east of Milwaukee River.
August 25
Michigan territorial legislature passes act organizing County of Milwaukee. U.S. Post Offices established here with Juneau as first postmaster.
September 17
First election of township officials in Milwaukee held at Juneau's home. Juneau and Walker both elected to offices. Elihu Higgins of Massachusetts and others found Oak Creek (i.e., South Milwaukee).

1836

Kilbourn buys remaining tracts west of river for $161.03. Kilbourn establishes the Milwaukee "Advertiser", city's first newspaper.

1837

First volunteer fire department organized with Ben Edgerton, foreman. Juneau a partner in backing Milwaukee "Sentinel" which begins publication.

1838

Territorial legislature establishes "Town of Lake" a township. Charles Hart settles west of Milwaukee and builds a flour mill, nucleus of a settlement later to become known as "Wauwatosa".

1839

"Juneautown" and "Kilbourntown" unite as a village. First election of consolidated village. Juneau elected first president.

1842

September. First professional theatrical performance in Milwaukee.

1843

German immigration to Milwaukee well underway.

1844

December 9
"Sentinel" becomes a daily paper, first in Wisconsin. Juneau elected Registrar of Deeds for Milwaukee County.

1845

February 12
Walker's Point incorporated into Village of Milwaukee. Spring. Great rivalry between East and West wards climaxed by "Bridge War"

1846

January 31
Territorial legislature gives charter to City of Milwaukee. First city elections result in the election of Solomon Juneau as Mayor. Milwaukee and Watertown Plank Road, privately built toll road, opened to travel.

1847

First City Directory published by Julius P. Bolivar McCabe.

1848

Telegraph lines opened between Milwaukee and Chicago Milwaukee Female College (later to be Milwaukee-Downer College and later merged to form the University School of Milwaukee) opens.

1849

Construction of a railroad from Milwaukee to Prairie du Chien begins.

 

^BACK TO TOP^

 

 

MILWAUKEE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Milwaukee County Courthouse

901 North 9th Street, RM 201 • Milwaukee, WI 53233
Phone: 414-278-4222 • Fax: 414-223-1380

 

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System