- To promote and maintain the highest professional standards in the field of death investigation;
- To provide timely, accurate and legally defensible determinations as to the cause of death;
- To enhance public health and safety through reducing the incidence of preventable deaths;
- To foster public awareness and support the advancement of professional medical and legal education; and,
- To protect the interests of deceased individuals, their loved ones, and the communities we serve.
The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner's Office is charged with investigating and determining the cause, circumstances and manner in each case of sudden, unexpected or unusual death. The Medical Examiner also provides services in the area of public health and safety such as:
- Detecting tuberculosis, hepatitis, meningitis and other infectious diseases to take the proper precautions against the spread of disease;
- Coordinating with other public health and safety organizations and entities to reduce the incidence of preventable deaths;
- Issuing death certificates for deaths investigated by this office;
- Conducting cremation investigations for all Milwaukee County deaths in which cremation is selected as a means of disposition; and
- Maintaining a forensic toxicology (drug) laboratory for testing blood and body fluid specimens for the presence of drugs, poisons or other toxic agents.
Brian L. Peterson, MD
933 W. Highland Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53233-1458