Milwaukee County Roads, Highways, & Freeways - Frequently Asked Questions



Who is responsible for my road?


Jurisdiction over roads in Milwaukee County can be confusing.  The County maintains the County Trunk Highways.  While the County also maintains State Trunk Highways and freeways under an agreement with the State of Wisconsin, issues such as road conditions should be reported to the State.  All other roads are under the jurisdiction of the municipalities within Milwaukee County.  The map link below identifies roadway jurisdiction in Milwaukee County.


Highway Map


If your road is not identified as a County Highway on this map (RED), please contact the State (BLUE) or the municipality in which the roadway lies.  Municipal websites are linked below.


Municipalities in Milwaukee County



How do I report issues or concerns like road conditions, pot holes, or signs down?


First, please review the Highway Map (linked above) to determine the appropriate party for the road/highway in question.


For Milwaukee County roads (indicated in RED on the map), call (414) 257-6566.


For State Highways and freeways (indicated in BLUE on the map), (262) 548-5902.


For all other roadways, please contact the appropriate municipality (click here for links).



Whom do I contact for matters relating to permits?


Construction Coordinator

Phone: (414) 257-5947



Where do I go for questions or concerns related to Transit or Paratransit?


For Transit matters, contact Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS)


Route/Schedule/Fare/Information:                       (414) 344-6711      (Mon-Fri, 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM)

Customer service:                                                (414) 937-3218      (Mon-Fri, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM)


For Paratransit, contact the Transit Plus program of MCTS


Phone: (414) 343-1700

email: click here



How do I contact General Mitchell International Airport?


Please visit the airport website (


General Information:                                            (414) 747-5300



What if I have a general question about MCDOT and I am not sure where to go specifically?


For all other questions related to MCDOT, please call (414) 257-5992

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System