How to Obtain a Copy of Your Discharge Papers (DD214)

There are several places where your DD214 may have been stored, including two in Milwaukee. Requests may be made by the veteran or the next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military  ( surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother). 

The easiest way to explore all of these options at once is to visit us at our office.
We can help you file the DD214 request forms for each and help you register for your state benefits at the same time. We can help you contact the following:

  1. Milwaukee County Register of Deeds - For safekeeping, veterans often  register and store a certified copy there for safekeeping. If that was done, a copy can be obtained at 901 N. 9th Street, Courthouse Room 103, Milwaukee WI 53233-1458. Call .(414)278-4021 for more information
  2. Our own office, Milwaukee County Veterans Services - If the veteran applied for state of Wisconsin veterans benefits, a copy of the DD214 may be in our files. Call us at (414) 382-1727 or visit our office Mon. - Fri., 8am-4:30pm. Map to our office
  3. Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, Madison. Most veterans who entered the service from Wisconsin can obtain a copy there. Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs, 30 W. Mifflin Street, Madison, WI 53703. Phone: (608) 266-1311 or toll-free 1-800-WIS-VETS (947-8387).
  4. National Record Center, St. Louis, MO. Download the Request for Military Records, SF180, here (PDF), fill it out and mail to National Personnel Records Center,Military Personnel Records,9700 Page Avenue,St. Louis, MO 63132-5100.  Phone (314) 801-0800  Mon.- Fri., 7:30 am to 3:45 pm CST
  5. Online at using their EVETRECS system (highly recommended). We can do this with you from our office or you can do it from home or work. If you have an Internet connection, a printer and a fax machine handy, you can fill out the form, print out a request to sign and fax it immediately to the National Records Center. The form you signed will have a bar code containing the information about your request which you can use to track the progress of your request with their courteous Customer Service staff. You may also request personnel records, medical records and even service medals which will arrive in display boxes.

    Veterans in need of this service should call, fax or stop in at the Veterans Service Office (see map to 6419 W. Greenfield Ave West Allis, WI 53214) during normal business hours, Monday thru Friday 8am - 4:30pm.  Our office may also be contacted by calling 414-266-1234), or fax 414-266-1233.

This site is powered by the Northwoods Titan Content Management System