DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
The Highway Division will strive to provide the highest level of service and maintenance on expressways and state and county trunk highways within Milwaukee County so that motorists have access to safe, functional roadways at the lowest possible cost as well as provide cost-effective planning design and implementation services necessary to maintain and enhance the safety and efficiency of the County's highways, bridges, and traffic control facilities.
As part of the new Department of Transportation, a new Highway Division is created. This division is comprised of Transportation Services and Highway Maintenance due to their operating/capital highway functions and anticipated staff management and oversight efficiencies (via consolidation under a shared division). Additionally, DAS-Fiscal and Transportation staff shall review existing and planned future capital future highway projects in order to determine the optimum staffing levels and make adjustments as needed.
- Maintain a safe and effective roadway, bridge and traffic system for the traveling public
- Collaborate with the City of Milwaukee, other local municipalities, and consultants for the design of Highway and Bridge projects
- Implement a software program to identify and track county trunk highway signage as required by the Federal Highway Administration
- Operate within established budgets while maximizing the quality and timeliness of services provided
- Promote cross training to make better use of resources
- Implement improved job costing and billing technology
- Develop effective long-term county trunk highway plans
Approach and Priorities
- Maintain State Highway service levels consistent with the 2012 Adopted Budget and assume full state reimbursement for costs related to state trunk highway maintenance
- Identify County trunk highway expenditure reductions due to the reductin in General Transportation Aids
- Reduce operating expenditures and enhance the Highway and Bridge design process while providing oversight for capital project planning and design by the Resident Contract Manager-Highway for new Highway and Bridge projects
- Provide funding for the implementation of Sign Inventory Software to monitor sign locations and retroreflectivity.
Major Programmatic Changes:
- The Highway Division is re-established as part of the Department of Transportation
- Transportation Services and Highway Maintenance are consolidated as two new sections of the Highway Division
- Implementation of a software supported Sign Inventory program to comply with Federal and Highway Administration Requirements