Energy Assistance Program
Applying for Energy Assistance is as easy as 1-2-3!
1. CHECK OUT THE RULES!
If you have a utility bill and are within our income guidelines for your household, you probably qualify! For a full list of requirements, click here!
Click here to make an appointment at any of our six convenient locations at a time that works for you!
Complete the application with one of our Energy Specialists and your benefit will go directly to your utility account! Click here for a list of things you may need to bring with you to your appointment.
(Did we mention there's a free gift for coming to an appointment?)
|All Energy Assistance sites will be closed on Monday, January 15, 2017, in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
What is Energy Assistance?
The Energy Assistance Program provides qualified Milwaukee County residents with a one-time annual payment to make energy (heating and electric) bills more affordable.
The funding pays a portion of energy costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire energy costs of a residence. The amount of the energy assistance payment varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income and energy costs. In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household’s energy supplier.
When is the application period?
If eligible, you can apply between Oct. 1, 2017 – May 15, 2018.
View or download the Program Flyer
Who is eligible to apply?
Milwaukee County households with a utility burden and are under 60% of the State Median income may be eligible for the Energy Assistance Program.
2017-18 Income Guidelines
| Family Size
How and where can you apply?
Walk in to any of our 6 locations during business hours, or set an appointment. Here's how:
- By phone: 414-270-4-MKE (414-270-4653)
- Online: Schedule an appointment online by clicking here.
- In person at any of our 6 locations:
- Northwest - 4906 W Fond du Lac Avenue (Fond du lac and Capitol)
- North - 6918 W Brown Deer Road
- Downtown - 728 N James Lovell Street (7th and Wisconsin)
- West Allis - 6761 W Greenfield Ave
- Southeast - 2701 S Chase Ave (between Lincoln and Oklahoma)
- South - 5663 S 27th Street
What do I need to bring with me when I apply?
- Photo ID (recommended; mandatory for first-time and NEW to Milwaukee County applicants)
- Social Security numbers and dates of birth for everyone in the household
- Current gas, electric or oil energy bill (or lease/letter from your landlord if heat is included in your rent)
- Proof of all income sources for the entire household's gross income for the three months prior to the application month (child support, wages, pension, unemployment, etc.)
- Seasonal employees and self-employed persons will require the prior year's entire tax package. Rental income must be verified by taxes and schedule E.
For more information on what to bring, view or print our WHEAP Checklist here:
Qualifying for Energy Assistance gives you access to other benefits, too, including:
- Furnace/heating system repair or replacement
- Crisis benefits
- Weatherization program
View more detail on these added benefits offered by the energy assistance program here.
Team MKE: We’re Here for You
As a team, we will provide top-quality customer service to the residents of Milwaukee County to allow them the opportunity to apply for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program in an efficient, professional and dignified manner in the location, time and method of their choosing.
Make an Appointment
Click here to schedule an appointment online.
After-hours help: Call 2-1-1
2017-18 Season: October 1, 2017-May 15, 2018
Hours of Operation
Mon: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Tue: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Wed: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Thu: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Fri: 8:00am - 5:00pm
For heat emergency on holidays, evenings or weekends, call 2-1-1.
4906 W Fond du Lac Ave
728 N. James Lovell Street
6761 W. Greenfield Avenue
2701 S. Chase Avenue
5663 S. 27th Street
6918 W. Brown Deer Road
View the English Energy Assistance flyer.
Vea el folleto de Asistencia de Energia en Español.
Not a Milwaukee County resident?
Find out where you can apply here!