Energy Assistance Program
What is Energy Assistance?
The Energy Assistance Program provides qualified Milwaukee County residents with a one-time annual payment to make energy (heating and electric) bills more affordable.
The funding pays a portion of energy costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire energy costs of a residence. The amount of the energy assistance payment varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income and energy costs. In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household’s energy supplier.
Who is eligible to apply?
Milwaukee County households with a utility burden and are under 60% of the State Median income may be eligible for the Energy Assistance Program.
2016-17 Income Guidelines
| Family Size
Hours and Appointments
This week our sites are open Monday-Friday 8 am-5 pm. Extended hours begin October 1.
We recommend making an appointment to minimize your wait time at the beginning of the season.
What do I need to bring with me when I apply?
- Photo ID (recommended; mandatory for first-time and NEW to Milwaukee County applicants)
- Social Security numbers and dates of birth for everyone in the household
- Current gas, electric or oil energy bill (or lease/letter from your landlord if heat is included in your rent)
- Proof of all income sources for the entire household's gross income for the three months prior to the application month (child support, wages, pension, unemployment, etc.)
- Seasonal employees and self-employed persons will require the prior year's entire tax package. Rental income must be verified by taxes and schedule E.
For more information on what to bring, view or print our WHEAP Checklist here:
Make an Appointment to Apply
Set up an application appointment to apply for energy assistance. You can do this a number of ways.
- By phone: 414-270-4-MKE (414-270-4653)
- Online: Schedule an appointment at www.ca-apps.org/MilwaukeeHeat
- In person at any of our 6 locations: Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; Saturday 8 a.m. - noon
- Northwest - 4906 W Fond du Lac Avenue (Fond du lac and Capitol)
- North - 6918 W Brown Deer Road
- Downtown - 728 N James Lovell Street (7th and Wisconsin)
- West Allis - 6761 W Greenfield Ave
- Southeast - 2701 S Chase Ave (between Lincoln and Oklahoma)
- Greenfield - 5663 S 27th Street
When is the application period?
If eligible, you can apply between Oct. 1, 2017 – May 15, 2017.
View or download the 2016-17 Program Flyer
Qualifying for Energy Assistance gives you access to other benefits, too, including:
- Furnace/heating system repair or replacement
- Crisis benefits
- Weatherization program
View more detail on these added benefits offered by the energy assistance program here.
Team MKE: We’re Here for You
As a team, we will provide top-quality customer service to the residents of Milwaukee County to allow them the opportunity to apply for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program in an efficient, professional and dignified manner in the location, time and method of their choosing.
The Energy Assistance Season is October 1-May 15.
You can apply for the 2016-17 season benefit beginning on October 1.
You may still be eligible to receive crisis services! Learn more here.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Make an Appointment
Click here to schedule an appointment online.
6918 W. Brown Deer Road
4906 W Fond du Lac Ave
728 N. James Lovell Street
6761 W. Greenfield Avenue
2701 S. Chase Avenue
5663 S. 27th Street
6918 W. Brown Deer Road*
5663 S. 27th Street*
Need help after-hours?
View or print the 2017 Energy Assistance flyer.