What is Energy Assistance?
The Energy Assistance Program provides qualified Milwaukee County residents with a one-time annual payment to make energy (heating and electric) bills more affordable.
The funding pays a portion of energy costs, but the payment is not intended to cover the entire energy costs of a residence. The amount of the energy assistance payment varies depending on a variety of factors, including the household’s size, income and energy costs. In most cases the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the household’s energy supplier.
Don’t get Disconnected!
We're in the final stretch of the season, and we have extended our office hours! See below for new times our locations are open! Make your appointment today!
The Milwaukee County Energy Assistance Program, along with We Energies and the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) are working together to help Milwaukee County residents avoid getting disconnected this year.
Set up a payment plan. We'll even pay the down payment for you.
Click here for more details.
Click here to print the March Madness flyer
When is the application period?
If eligible, you can apply between Oct. 1, 2016 – May 15, 2017.
View or download the 2016-17 Program Flyer
Who is eligible to apply?
Milwaukee County households with a utility burden and are under 60% of the State Median income may be eligible for the Energy Assistance Program.
2016-17 Income Guidelines
| Family Size
How and where can you apply?
Walk in to any of our 6 locations during business hours, or set an appointment. Here's how:
- By phone: 414-270-4-MKE (414-270-4653)
- Online: Schedule an appointment online by clicking here.
- In person at any of our 6 locations:
- Northwest - 4906 W Fond du Lac Avenue (Fond du lac and Capitol)
- North - 6918 W Brown Deer Road
- Downtown - 728 N James Lovell Street (7th and Wisconsin)
- West Allis - 6761 W Greenfield Ave
- Southeast - 2701 S Chase Ave (between Lincoln and Oklahoma)
- South - 5663 S 27th Street
Hours of Operation
We recommend making an appointment to minimize your wait time.
Our Extended Hours are now in place! They are:
Mon: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Tue: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Wed: 7:30am - 5:00pm
Thu: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Fri: 7:30am - 5:00pm
Sat: 8:00am - 12:00pm
If you experience a heat emergency on holidays, evenings or weekends, call 2-1-1.
What do I need to bring with me when I apply?
- Photo ID (recommended; mandatory for first-time and NEW to Milwaukee County applicants)
- Social Security numbers and dates of birth for everyone in the household
- Current gas, electric or oil energy bill (or lease/letter from your landlord if heat is included in your rent)
- Proof of all income sources for the entire household's gross income for the three months prior to the application month (child support, wages, pension, unemployment, etc.)
- Seasonal employees and self-employed persons will require the prior year's entire tax package. Rental income must be verified by taxes and schedule E.
For more information on what to bring, view or print our WHEAP Checklist here:
Qualifying for Energy Assistance gives you access to other benefits, too, including:
- Furnace/heating system repair or replacement
- Crisis benefits
- Weatherization program
View more detail on these added benefits offered by the energy assistance program here.
Team MKE: We’re Here for You
As a team, we will provide top-quality customer service to the residents of Milwaukee County to allow them the opportunity to apply for the Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program in an efficient, professional and dignified manner in the location, time and method of their choosing.