- Why must I pay a Convenience Fee when I charge my delinquent property tax payment on a credit or debit card?
Under the Wisconsin State law, the Milwaukee County Treasurer is required to collect the full amount of the delinquent property tax due. Legal counsel determined that this provision prohibits the Milwaukee County Treasurer from accepting a payment for less than the amount due. If the fee were not added to the payment, the merchant fee charged by your credit card issuer would result in a reduction of the tax collected and this is not permitted.
This office monitors the service fees relative to other service providers to minimize the fees charged.
The County, the I.R.S. and numerous other public entities contract with Point & Pay to process credit and debit card payments, remitting the full amount of the tax to the public entity. As compensation for processing and recording the payment and other value-added services, Point & Pay retains the total convenience fee.Return to Top
- Will I be charged any additional fees for paying my delinquent property taxes online?
The online inquiry is a free service offered by the Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office. If Point & Pay credit card, debit card, or E-Check options are used, the fees are clearly disclosed. To avoid service charges, mail a check to, or pay in person at the Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office. Please identify your parcel number if paying by mail. Return to Top
- What kind of proof will I have of my online payment?
The Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office will issue a confirmation for all payments which can be printed from your computer at the conclusion of the on-line payment session. This confirmation includes the date, time, and parcel number/categories paid. You will also receive a confirmation email if an email address was provided when you made your payment. Return to Top
- Will you submit my payment again if funds are not available the first time?
No. If your electronic payment is rejected due to insufficient funds, an incorrect account number, or routing number, or any other reason, it will be your responsibility to make other payment arrangements. You will be subject to late penalties if payment fails to reach us before the 1st date of the next month.Return to Top
- I don't have enough money to pay the entire bill. Can I make a partial payment online?
The online payment system accepts partial payments. Additionally you are welcome to make a partial payment in person or by mailing a check to our office. (Please identify your parcel number on the check if paying by mail.)Return to Top
- I paid the total balance online on Monday, however, on Tuesday my mortgage company called your office and the receptionist said that money was still due on the account.
Because payment is recorded in the Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office on the second business day after your authorization to charge your account, time must be allowed for updating the delinquent property tax payment(s) database details.Return to Top
- Can my sister or, another relative or friend pay on my account with their credit card(s)?
Return to Top
Yes. Anyone who pays delinquent property tax will receive a receipt for the payment. In addition, the property owner will get a notification of the payment in the form of a receipt specifying who made the payment.
- If I come to the Milwaukee County Treasurer's Office, can I pay by credit card, debit card, or E-Check at the counter?
No. The Treasurer's Office can only accept checks, money orders and cash. Credit card, debit card, or E-Check payments can be made online through the online link to Point & Pay.Return to Top