2014 Dog Exercise Area Permits Available Now!
Although parks are primarily "people places" with some wildlife, the only additional animals that may be brought into the parks are pet dogs– and only in non-restricted areas.
"No Dogs Allowed" in posted areas
Service dogs are exempt from this regulation.
These areas include
- Beaches – including Bender, Bradford, Grant, McKinley, South Shore, and Tietjen (Doctors)
- Picnic Areas
- Children's Play Areas
- Athletic Fields
The 2013 Milwaukee County fine for having your dog in a prohibited area is $200.50.
Dogs must be on a strong leash
The leash should be no longer than 6 feet and strong enough to restrain your dog. Your dog must be under control at all times.
The 2013 Milwaukee County fine for not having your dog leashed is $200.50.
Note: at the Dog Exercise Areas your dog must be under voice control or be leashed.
Clean up after your dog
When you take your dog to a park or parkway, bring a means for cleaning up after your dog (scooper, bag, etc.). You must pick up your dog's waste immediately, wrap it properly, and dispose of it at your home.
The 2013 Milwaukee County fine for not cleaning up after your dog is $200.50.
If you violate any of these rules, a police officer, deputy sheriff, or park ranger may give you a citation. Even if he or she did not observe you, the officer may give you a citation based on the report of a person who saw the violation.
Portions of the following parks & parkways
allow leashed dogs:
- Bay View, 3120 S. Lake Drive
- Bender, 4503 E. Ryan Road
No dogs allowed on Bender Beach
- Caesar's, 1939 N. Warren Ave.
- Center Street, 6420 W. Clark St.
- Chippewa, 11500 Park Hill Ave.
- Cudahy, 3000 E. Ramsey Ave.
- Cupertino, 2000 E. Iron St.
- Doctors, 1870 E. Fox Lane
No dogs allowed on Tietjen (Doctors) Beach
- Estabrook (east side of park), 4400 N. Estabrook Drive
- Falk, 2013 W. Rawson Ave.
- Grant, 100 E. Hawthorne Ave.
No dogs allowed on Grant Beach
- Hales Corners, 5765 S. New Berlin Road
- Humboldt, 3000 Howell Ave.
- Holt, 3300 S. 106 St.
- Kohl, 7603 W. County Line Road
- Lake, 3233 E. Kenwood Blvd.
- Lincoln Creek Parkway, 46 St. to 34 St.
- Lincoln Memorial Drive Parklands, N. Lake Drive to Wahl & Park Place
No dogs allowed on Bradford or McKinley beaches
- Little Menomonee River Parkway, Mill Road to Silver Spring Drive
- Maitland, 6001 S. 13 St.
- Menomonee River Parkway, Grantosa to Concordia and Center St. to Church St.– No dogs allowed from Grantosa to Silver Spring
- Milwaukee River Parkway, Good Hope to Bender sidewalk only on the east side of the street
- Mitchell Boulevard, 5115 W. Bluemound Road
- Pleasant Valley, 1229 E. Concordia Ave.
- Pulaski-Cudahy, 5400 S Swift Ave
- Rawson, 1400 E. Rawson Ave.
- Root River Parkway, Lincoln Ave to Rawson Ave., Drexel to Oakwood Road, 27 St. to Oakwood Road, and Loomis to Layton
- Sheridan, 4800 S. Lake Drive
- South Shore, 2900 S. Shore Drive
- Underwood Creek Parkway, Bluemound Road to Watertown Plank Road
- Valley, 343 N. 42 St.
- Warnimont, 5400 S. Lake Drive, west of the Oak Leaf Trail only
- West Milwaukee, 5000 W. Burnham St.