West Allis/West Milwaukee
Welcome to the West Allis/West Milwaukee Neighborhood Project
The City of West Allis and the Village of West Milwaukee
Startup date: May 2009
Lead Organizations: The West Allis/West Milwaukee Health Department, The West Allis Senior Center
Key Partners/Organizations: West Central Interfaith Neighborhood Outreach Program, Library Square, Landmark & Carnegie Place, Meadowmere, Mitchell Manor, Home Instead, Heritage West Allis, the Alzheimer's Association of Southeastern Wisconsin, St. John's Lutheran Church, Aurora West Allis Medical Center, City of West Allis Cable Communications, and residents.
View the West Allis/West Milwaukee Community Survey click here
Activities as of December 2010:
- A community - wide survey completed in 2007
- Focus groups to gather input from community members that will help shape future initiatives in the priority area of safety.
- With the assistance of West Allis Central High School, the creation of 10,000 bookmarks listing older adult resources in West Allis
- The development of a four-part video series on West Allis’s cable channel (and in dvd format) dealing with fall prevention, personal safety, fire safety, and safe use of medications.
- Partnership participation in “West Allis A La Carte”, a well-attended Sunday street festival
- Creation of "The Navigator" a transportation resource guide
To view The Navigator (Adobe PDF) click here
To see the West Allis/West Milwaukee neighborhood plan, click here.
For more information contact Mary Sue Opperman (City of West Allis Health Department)
414 302-8614. OR Denise Koenig (West Allis Senior Center) 414 302-8717.